Purpose of the Board Induction Policy
The purpose of this policy is to ensure that a clear and concise transition process occurs when a new Trustee joins the Board.
The Board is committed to ensuring continuity of business and a smooth transition when Trustees join the Board.
Board Induction Process
- New Trustees will receive a welcome letter on their joining the Board which includes:
- Where and when they can pick up their governance folder
- The suggested date of the induction
- The date of the next Board meeting
- Chair and Principal contact details.
- New Trustees will be issued with a governance manual containing copies of the school’s:
- Charter – including the strategic and annual/operational plans
- The current budget
- The last ERO report
- The last annual report
- The triennial review programme
- Any other relevant material.
- The Chair or delegate will meet with new Board members to explain Board policy and other material in the governance manual.
- The Principal and Chair or delegate, will brief all new members on the organisational structure of the school.
- The Principal will conduct a site visit of the school.
- New Board members are to be advised of the professional development that is available from NZSTA and other relevant providers.
- After three months on the Board, the effectiveness of the induction process is to be reviewed by the Chair with the new members.
Post Induction Survey
The review will include the following aspects:
Did you feel welcomed onto the Board?
Very welcome Welcome Not very welcome
Did you receive all necessary information in a timely manner?
Very timely Timely Not very timely
Did you find the induction with Principal and Board Chair to be effective?
Very effective Effective Not very effective
Please comment on how we could improve this induction process:
Including but not limited to;
- Education Act 1989
- Local Government Official Information and Meetings Act 1987.
Document Management and Control
|Policy / Document Owner:||Orakei School Board of Trustees|
|Governance Policy Number:||CP17|
|Prepared or Reviewed By:||W Pihema|
|Authorised By:||The Board of Trustees|
|Date Policy Approved and Resolution No.:||June 12 2017 / 2.6.17|
|Date Last Reviewed:|
|Date of Next Review:||June 2020|
|Review Date:||Review Outcome:|