Purpose of the Principal’s Performance Management Policy
It is the purpose of this policy to outline a clear and robust Principal Performance Management strategy to ensure the highest possible standard of educational achievement year over year.
It is the policy of Orakei School Board of Trustees to establish a performance agreement with the Principal each year* and review the Principal’s performance on an annual basis with the objective of ensuring that every student at the school is able to attain his or her highest possible standard in educational achievement.
Performance Review Procedures
- The review process will occur annually, providing a written record of how the Principal has performed as per the terms of the performance agreement and identifying professional development needs.
- The Principal’s performance will be formally reviewed on an annual basis and led by the Remuneration Committee as duly delegated members of the Board, and optionally, at the Board’s expense , an independent consultant who specialises in education may assist with the review of the professional standards component..
- Those delegated or contracted to perform the review process shall have written formalised instructions specifying the responsibilities of the role.
- There will be an interim review preceding the annual formal review by five months, between the Principal and Chair and delegate(s) (if needed) to discuss progress.
- The Principal will be reviewed on the criteria set forth in the performance agreement: performance objectives, professional standards, learning and development objectives and fulfilment of additional duties which require concurrence payment.
- If the Principal and the Board disagree on the performance objectives, the Board, after considering the Principal’s input, will amend the disputed objectives or confirm the unchanged objectives. The Board’s decision will be final.
- The Board Chair, delegate(s) and consultant may gather information from staff, parents, or any other relevant members of the larger school community who can provide feedback on how the Principal has performed. Evidence may include surveys, self-review, teaching observation (if relevant), interviews, focus groups or documentary evidence.
- The Principal and Remuneration Committee will meet for a formal interview to discuss whether the performance agreement has been satisfied with the Principal given the opportunity to discuss and comment on each criterion before a rating is given. The results will then be drafted into a report and sent to the Board for approval before being sent to the Principal. The Principal can accept the report or dispute the report. If the report is disputed, the Remuneration Committee will consider the Principal’s views before deciding to either amend the report, in accordance with the Principal’s views, or let the report stand, with the Principal’s comments attached.
- The Chair/delegate(s)/consultant will present the final report/summary back to the Board the result of the review. The Principal may/may not be present at the presentation and/but will have the opportunity to address the Board. The Principal will then exit and further discussion may continue among the Board.
- The Principal will be informed personally by the Board Chair and in writing of the final outcome following the report discussion.
- The performance agreement and results of the review are confidential to the Principal, the Board and their agents unless both parties agree to wider distribution.
* Legal requirement
Including but not limited to;
- Education Act 1989
- Employment Relations Act 2000
Document Management and Control
|Policy / Document Owner:||Orakei School Board of Trustees|
|Governance Policy Number:||CP13|
|Prepared or Reviewed By:||W Pihema|
|Authorised By:||The Board of Trustees|
|Date Policy Approved and Resolution No.:||June 12 2017 / 2.6.17|
|Date Last Reviewed:|
|Date of Next Review:||June 2020|
|Review Date:||Review Outcome:|