The Principal is the professional leader of the school and the Board’s Chief Executive working in partnership with the Board of Trustees.
Purpose of Responsibilities of the Principal Policy
The purpose of this policy is to ensure clarity around the responsibilities of the Principal in relation to the Board and operational organisation of the school.
The Principal is responsible for overseeing the implementation of Board policy at management level, including the Charter. The Principal shall not cause or allow any practice, activity or decision that is unethical, unlawful, and imprudent or which violates the Board’s Charter or expressed values or commonly held professional ethic. Alongside their professional role, the Principal’s key contribution to day-to-day management of the school is as per the “management” definition below and in the introduction to this Governance Policy Manual.
“Management” – The Board delegates all authority and accountability for the day-to-day operational organisation of the school to the Principal who must ensure compliance with both the Board’s policy framework and the law of New Zealand. [For detail see Operational Policies].
“Principal” – Reference in documentation to the school, management and staff is to be read as “Principal” for responsibility for implementation.
The responsibilities of the Principal are to:
- Meet the requirements of their Individual Employment Agreement, including the four areas of practice from the Principals’ Professional Standards.
- Meet the requirements of the current Job Description as attached in Schedule One.
- Act as the educational leader and day to day manager of the school within the law and in line with all Board policies.
- Participate in the development and implementation of their annual performance agreement, and participate in their annual review process.
- Develop, seek Board approval of, and implement an Annual Plan that is aligned with the Board’s strategic plan, meets legislative requirements and gives priority to improved student progress and achievement.
- Use resources efficiently and effectively and preserve assets (financial and property).
- Put good employer policies into effect and ensure there are effective procedures/guidelines in place.
- Allocate pay units for appropriate positions.
- Ensure effective and robust performance management systems are in place for all staff which include performance management reviews, attestations for salary increases and staff professional development.
- Employ, deploy and terminate relieving and non-teaching staff positions.
- Employ teaching staff as per the appointments policy.
- Communicate with the community on operational matters where appropriate.
- Refrain from unauthorised public statements about the official position of the Board on controversial social, political, and/or educational issues.
- Keep the Board informed of all information important to its role on a “no surprises” basis.
- Report to the Board as per the Board’s reporting policy requirements.
- Act as Protected Disclosures Officer and ensure procedures are in place to meet the requirements of the Protected Disclosures Act 2000.
- Appoint, on behalf of the Board, the Privacy Officer and EEO Officer.
Only decisions made by the Board acting as a Board are binding on the Principal unless specific delegations are in place. Decisions or instructions by individual Board members, Committee Chairs, or Committees are not binding on the Principal except in rare circumstances when the Board has specifically authorised it.
The relationship is one of trust and support with expectations documented in the relationship policy. All parties work to ensure “no-surprises”.
The Principal is not restricted from using the expert knowledge of individual Board members acting as community experts.
Including but not limited to;
- Education Act 1989
- Employment Relations Act 2000
- Privacy Act 1993
- Protected Disclosures Act 2000
Document Management and Control
|Policy / Document Owner:||Orakei School Board of Trustees|
|Governance Policy Number:||CP2|
|Prepared or Reviewed By:||W Pihema|
|Authorised By:||The Board of Trustees|
|Date Policy Approved and Resolution No.:||June 12 2017 / 2.6.17|
|Date Last Reviewed:|
|Date of Next Review:||June 2020|
|Review Date:||Review Outcome:|