The Board and the Principal form the leadership team and as such clear role definitions have been developed. The Responsibilities of the Principal and Responsibilities of the Board policies along with the Board’s agreed Code of Behaviour should be read alongside this policy.
Purpose of the Relationship Between the Board and the Principal Policy
The purpose of this policy is to ensure that relationship principles are clearly defined, ensuring the working dynamic between the Board and the Principal is a positive and effective relationship.
The performance of the school depends significantly on the effectiveness of the relationship between the Board and the Principal, and as such, a positive, productive working relationship must be developed and maintained.
- This relationship is based on mutual respect, trust, integrity and ability.
- The relationship must be professional.
- The Principal reports to the Board as a whole rather than to individual Trustees.
- Day to day relationships between the Board and the Principal are delegated to the Chair.
- All reports presented to the Board by the staff (unless specifically requested by the Board) arrive there with the Principal’s approval and the Principal is accountable for the contents.
- There are clear delegations and accountabilities by the Board to the Principal through policy.
- The two must work as a team and there should be no surprises.
- Neither party will deliberately hold back important information.
- Neither party will knowingly misinform the other.
- The Board must maintain a healthy independence from the Principal in order to fulfil its role. The Board is there to critique and challenge the information that comes to it, acting in the best interests of students at the school.
- The Principal should be able to share their biggest concerns with the Board.
Including but not limited to;
- Education Act 1989
Document Management and Control
|Policy / Document Owner:||Orakei School Board of Trustees|
|Governance Policy Number:||CP12|
|Prepared or Reviewed By:||W Pihema|
|Authorised By:||The Board of Trustees|
|Date Policy Approved and Resolution No.:||June 12 2017 / 2.6.17|
|Date Last Reviewed:|
|Date of Next Review:||June 2020|
|Review Date:||Review Outcome:|