Purpose of the Personnel Policy
The purpose of this policy to provide clarity around staff management at Orakei School, ensuring that best practice methods are used in accordance with current terms of employment and that all legislative requirements are met.
The Board delegates responsibility to the Principal on all matters relating to the management of staff in the expectation that they will be managed in a sound, fair, and respectful manner in accordance with the current terms of employment documents and identified good practice.
Responsibilities of the Principal
The Principal must ensure:
- that all employment related legislative requirements are applied.
- all employees their rights to personal dignity and safety and ensure that matters are resolved in an appropriate and fair manner.
- a smoke free environment is provided.
- that employment records are maintained and that all employees have written employment agreements.
- that employee leave is effectively managed and reported so
- that the risk of financial liability is minimised, operational needs are met, and the needs of individual staff are considered.
- Board approval is sought for any requests for discretionary staff leave with pay.
- Board approval is sought for any requests for discretionary staff leave without pay of longer than 4 days.
- Board approval is sought for any requests for staff travelling overseas on school business
- the Board is advised of any staff absences longer than 5 school days.
- that performance agreements are established for all staff and that reviews are undertaken annually.
- a suitable professional development programme, which takes into consideration the requirements of the strategic and annual plans, is provided as part of each employee’s performance agreement.
- the requirements of the Health and Safety at Work Act 2015 are met.
- Advice is sought as necessary from NZSTA advisers where employment issues arise.
Including but not limited to;
- Education Act 1989
- Employment Relations Act 2000
- Human Rights Act 1993
Document Management and Control
|Policy / Document Owner:||Orakei School Board of Trustees|
|Operational Policy Number:||OP2|
|Prepared or Reviewed By:||W Pihema|
|Authorised By:||The Board of Trustees|
|Date Policy Approved and Resolution No.:||June 12 2017 / 2.6.17|
|Date Last Reviewed:|
|Date of Next Review:||June 2020|
|Review Date:||Review Outcome:|