A balmy evening and high spirits set the scene for the Ōrākei School Art Exhibition Gala Night. That enthusiasm continued over the weekend-long event – culminating in a fundraising record. These funds will be used towards important projects at our School including replacing a much-needed pathway leading from Coates Ave – one of the key entranceways to our School – which has been unusable.
Here are some of the key achievements from this year’s event:
• Over $50,000 was raised – our best result ever!
• Over 550 pieces of art were on display
• More than 120 NZ artists contributed works – ranging from paintings and outdoor sculptures to prints and hand-crafted jewellery
• Over 300 patrons joined our Gala Night – our highest attendance yet & weekend foot-traffic was very busy
• All the collaborative artworks created for our students were sold at the special Gala Night auction
Along with the live auction, led by award winning Ray White auctioneer John Bowring, the Gala Night also featured silent auction items and the opportunity to watch contributing artist Holly Craig creating artworks. A great time was had by all! One of the highlights for our event organisers, the Friends of Ōrākei School, was the fierce bidding for the student collaborative art. These paintings were made in the classrooms by our students and professional volunteer artists – Bec Robertson, Lesley Campbell, Alex Syxomexune, Renee Pennington and members of the Senior O Hub.
To promote the Art Exhibition this year, we extended our marketing efforts to include:
• Multiple signboards around the wider community – including key thoroughfares such as by the Shore Road roundabout, Tamaki Drive, The Strand in Parnell, base of Ascot Ave at Greenlane and Stonefields just to name a few!
• Social media advertising
• Flyer drops around Ōrākei, Kohimarama, St. Heliers, Remuera, Meadowbank & Parnell
• Posters around local businesses and other high-traffic areas
Thank you to all our supporters and sponsors!
The weekend could not have been possible without the support of the many parents and members of our local community who visited and purchased artwork, the volunteers who kindly gave their time to ensure the success of the event and all the artists for their support. We are especially grateful for our team of dedicated sponsors who are so generous in their support of our School. Thank you in particular to Ray White Ōrākei, Simpson Grierson, sKids Ōrākei, Okahu Pilates, Swimsation, Diane Robinson – Called to Account and Pub Charity.
We are already planning to break more records at our 2020 event – so stay tuned!